2013 Annual Progress Report
V. Fuel Cells
This section of the 2013 Annual Progress Report for the DOE Hydrogen and Fuel Cells Program focuses on fuel cells.
Fuel Cells Program Overview, Dimitrios Papageorgopoulos, U.S. Department of Energy
- Durable Catalysts for Fuel Cell Protection During Transient Conditions, Radoslav Atanasoski, 3M Company
- Extended, Continuous Pt Nanostructures in Thick, Dispersed Electrodes, Bryan Pivovar, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Nanosegregated Cathode Catalysts with Ultra-Low Platinum Loading, Nenad Markovic, Argonne National Laboratory
- Contiguous Platinum Monolayer Oxygen Reduction Electrocatalysts on High-Stability Low-Cost Supports, Radoslav Adzic, Brookhaven National Laboratory
- The Science and Engineering of Durable Ultra-Low PGM Catalysts, Fernando Garzon, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Engineered Nano-Scale Ceramic Supports for PEM Fuel Cells, Eric Brosha, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Tungsten Oxide and Heteropoly Acid-Based Systems for Ultra-High Activity and Stability of Pt Catalysts in PEM Fuel Cell Cathodes, John Turner, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Synthesis and Characterization of Mixed-Conducting Corrosion Resistant Oxide Supports, Vijay Ramani, Illinois Institute of Technology
- Development of Novel Non-PGM Electrocatalysts for Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell Applications, Sanjeev Mukerjee, Northeastern University
- High-Activity Dealloyed Catalysts, Anusorn Kongkanand, General Motors Company
- Development of Ultra-Low Platinum Alloy Cathode Catalyst for Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cells, Branko Popov, University of South Carolina
- Non-Precious Metal Fuel Cell Cathodes: Catalyst Development and Electrode Structure Design, Piotr Zelenay, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Dimensionally Stable High Performance Membrane, Cortney Mittelsteadt, Giner, Inc.
- High-Temperature Membrane with Humidification-Independent Cluster Structure, Ludwig Lipp, FuelCell Energy, Inc.
- Corrugated Membrane Fuel Cell Structures, Stephen Grot, Ion Power Inc.
C. MEA Integration
- High-Performance, Durable, Low-Cost Membrane Electrode Assemblies for Transportation Applications, Andrew Steinbach, 3M Company
- Rationally Designed Catalyst Layers for PEMFC Performance Optimization, Deborah Myers, Argonne National Laboratory
D. Degradation Studies
- Durability Improvements Through Degradation Mechanism Studies, Rod Borup, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Durability of Low-Platinum Fuel Cells Operating at High Power Density, Scott Blanchet, Nuvera Fuel Cells, Inc.
- Accelerated Testing Validation, Rangachary Mukundan, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Analysis of Laboratory Fuel Cell Technology Status—Voltage Degradation, Jennifer Kurtz, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Development of Micro-Structural Mitigation Strategies for PEM Fuel Cells: Morphological Simulations and Experimental Approaches, Silvia Wessel, Ballard Power Systems
- Effect of System Contaminants on PEMFC Performance and Durability, Huyen Dinh, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- The Effect of Airborne Contaminants on Fuel Cell Performance and Durability, Jean St-Pierre, Hawaii Natural Energy Institute
F. Transport Studies
- Fuel Cell Fundamentals at Low and Subzero Temperatures, Adam Weber, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Transport in PEMFCs, Cortney Mittelsteadt, Giner, Inc.
- Investigation of Micro- and Macro-Scale Transport Processes for Improved Fuel Cell Performance, Wenbin Gu, General Motors Company
- Transport Studies Enabling Efficiency Optimization of Cost-Competitive Fuel Cell Stacks, Amedeo Conti, Nuvera Fuel Cells, Inc.
G. Balance of Plant
- Large-Scale Testing, Demonstration and Commercialization of the Nanoparticle-Based Fuel Cell Coolant (SBIR Phase III), Satish Mohapatra, Dynalene Inc.
- New High-Performance Water Vapor Membranes To Improve Fuel Cell Balance-of-Plant Efficiency and Lower Costs, Earl Wagener, Tetramer Technologies, LLC
- Roots Air Management System with Integrated Expander, Dale Stretch, Eaton Corporation
- Fuel Cells Systems Analysis, Rajesh Ahluwalia, Argonne National Laboratory
- Fuel Cell Transportation Cost Analysis, Brian James, Strategic Analysis, Inc.
- Characterization of Fuel Cell Materials, Karren More, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Neutron Imaging Study of the Water Transport in Operating Fuel Cells, Muhammad Arif, National Institute of Standards and Technology
- Enlarging the Potential Market for Stationary Fuel Cells Through System Design Optimization, Chris Ainscough, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Stationary and Emerging Market Fuel Cell System Cost Analysis—Material Handling Equipment, Vince Contini, Battelle
- A Total Cost of Ownership Model for Design and Manufacturing Optimization of Fuel Cells in Stationary and Emerging Market Applications, Max Wei, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Technical Assistance to Developers, Tommy Rockward, Los Alamos National Laboratory
I. Portable Power
- Novel Materials for High Efficiency Direct Methanol Fuel Cells, Steve Carson, Arkema Inc.
- Advanced Materials and Concepts for Portable Power Fuel Cells, Piotr Zelenay, Los Alamos National Laboratory
J. Stationary Power
- Power Generation from an Integrated Biomass Reformer and Solid Oxide Fuel Cell (SBIR Phase III Xlerator Program), Quentin Ming, InnovaTek
K. Bipolar Plates
- Low-Cost PEM Fuel Cell Metal Bipolar Plates, Conghua Wang, TreadStone Technologies, Inc.
L. Alkaline Fuel Cells
- Advanced Ionomers and MEAs for Alkaline Membrane Fuel Cells, Bryan Pivovar, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Improving Fuel Cell Durability and Reliability, Prabhakar Singh, University of Connecticut
N. Basic Energy Sciences
- Computer Simulation of Proton Transport in Fuel Cell Membranes, Gregory Voth, University of Chicago
- Fluoropolymers, Electrolytes, Composites and Electrodes, Stephen Creager, Clemson University
- Gas Transport Across Hyperthin Membranes, Steven Regen, Lehigh University
- Theory-Guided Design of Nanoscale Multi-Metallic Catalysts For Fuel Cells, Perla Balbuena, University of Texas
- Structure-Property Relationship in Metal Carbides and Bimetallic Alloys, Jingguang Chen, Columbia University
- Nanostructured Catalysts for Hydrogen Production from Renewable Feedstocks, Abhaya Datye, University of New Mexico
- Fundamental Structure/Property Studies of Gas Separation Membrane Polymers, Benny Freeman, University of Texas at Austin
- Precisely Tunable High Performance Carbon Molecular Sieve Membranes for Energy Intensive Separations, William Koros, Georgia Tech
- Nanoporous Membranes for Hydrogen Production: Experimental Studies and Molecular Simulations, Muhammad Sahimi, University of Southern California
- Structure/Composition/Function Relationships in Supported Nanoscale Catalysts for Hydrogen, Peter Stair, Argonne National Laboratory
- Metal and Metal Oxide-Supported Platinum Monolayer Electrocatalysts for Oxygen Reduction, Radoslav Adzic, Brookhaven National Laboratory
- Active Sites and Mechanism for the Water-Gas Shift Reaction on Metal and Metal/Oxide Catalysts, Jose Rodriguez, Brookhaven National Laboratory
- Fundamentals of Catalysis and Chemical Transformations, Steve Overbury, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Activation of Small Molecules with Bi-Functional Ambiphilic Catalyst Complexes, Thomas Autrey, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- Bio-Inspired Molecular Catalysts for Oxidation of Hydrogen and Production of Hydrogen: Cheap Metals for Noble Tasks, Morris Bullock, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- Platinum-Group Metal (PGM) Substituted Complex Oxide Catalysts, Ram Seshadri, University of California, Santa Barbara
- Porous Transition Metal Oxides: Synthesis, Characterization, and Catalytic Activity, Steven Suib, University of Connecticut
- Understanding the Effects of Surface Chemistry and Microstructure on the Activity and Stability of Pt Electrocatalysts on Non-Carbon Supports, William Mustain, University of Connecticut
- In Situ NMR/IR/Raman and ab initio DFT Investigations of Pt-Based Mono- and Bi-Metallic Nanoscale Electrocatalysts: From Sulfur-Poisoning to Polymer Promoters to Surface Activity Indexes, YuYe Tong, Georgetown University
- Investigation of the Nature of Active Sites on Heteroatom-Containing Carbon Nano-Structures for Oxygen Reduction Reaction, Umit Ozkan, Ohio State University
- Oxide-Metal Interactions Studied on M@Oxide, Core-Shell Catalysts, Raymond Gorte, University of Pennsylvania
- Fundamental Studies of the Steam Reforming of Alcohols on PdZnO and Co/ZnO Catalysts, John Vohs, University of Pennsylvania
- Theoretically Relating the Surface Composition of the Pt Alloys to Their Performance as the Electrocatalysts of Low-Temperature Fuel Cells, Guofeng Wang, University of Pittsburgh
- Nanoscale Surface Chemistry and Electrochemistry of Clean and Metal-Covered Faceted Substrates: Structure, Reactivity, and Electronic Properties, Robert Bartynski, Rutgers University
- Correlation of Theory and Function in Well-Defined Bimetallic Electrocatalysts, Richard Crooks, University of Texas
- Metal Ion Sites on Oxide Supports as Catalysts for the Water-Gas Shift and Methanol Steam Reforming Reactions, Maria Flytzani-Stephanopoulos, Tufts University
- Hydrocarbon Oxidation, Dehydrogenation, and Coupling over Model Metal Oxide Surfaces, David Cox, Virginia Tech
- Atomic Level Studies of Advanced Catalysts for Hydrodeoxygenation, S. Ted Oyama, Virginia Tech
- Atomic-Scale Design of Metal and Alloy Catalysts: A Combined Theoretical and Experimental Approach, Marios Mavrikakis, University of Wisconsin