DOE H2A Production Analysis
New Releases 2015
- H2A Central Hydrogen Production Model, Version 3.1
- H2A Distributed Hydrogen Production Model, Version 3.1
The Hydrogen Analysis (H2A) production models provide transparent reporting of process design assumptions and a consistent cost analysis methodology for the production of hydrogen at central and distributed (forecourt/filling-station) facilities. Required input to the models includes capital and operating costs for the hydrogen production process, fuel type and use, and financial parameters such as the type of financing, plant life, and desired internal rate of return. The models include default values, developed by the H2A team, for many of the input parameters, but users may also enter their own values. The models use a standard discounted cash flow rate of return analysis methodology to determine the hydrogen selling cost for the desired internal rate of return.
Version 3.1 of the models was released in 2015 and includes the following updates and corrections:
- Added 2013 reference and high price cases; added 2014 reference case for feedstock and utility prices; and updated forecasts beyond 2040
- Updated price indexes for GDP deflator, plant cost, labor cost, and chemical price until 2013
- Corrected hydrogen compression loss ratio for distributed cases
- Corrected depreciation calculation
- Implemented automatic cash flow calculation replacing buttons
- Implemented new tornado charts and added waterfall plots
- Updated CSD cash flow analysis to be consistent with production cash flow analysis for distributed cases
- Added equivalent prices of feedstock and utility.
Version 2.1 of the central and distributed H2A models was released in September 2008. Version 3.0 of the models was released in 2012, and included the following enhancements compared with the previous version:
- Enhanced usability and functionality, including more intuitive and accessible plant scaling
- Updated default reference year (2007) for cost calculations, which users can change easily
- Updated energy price projections
- Improved technical and financial assumptions and calculations.
The two H2A production models (central and distributed) and copies of all technology case studies are available free through this site. Registration is required. Choose from the links below to download the new versions, technology case studies, and documentation.
- H2A Central Hydrogen Production Model Version 3.1
- H2A Current Distributed Hydrogen Production Model Version 3.1
- H2A Future Distributed Hydrogen Production Model Version 3.1
- H2A Central Hydrogen Production Model User Guide Version 3 Draft
- H2A Hydrogen Production Model User Guide, Version 2
- Central and forecourt production technology case studies
These files do contain macros necessary for hydrogen price calculation. If you're having difficulty opening these Excel files through your browser, please contact the Webmaster.